Friday, January 26, 2007

A Devotee Acts Only for Purification

Today I gave morning Bhagavatam class, I was a trainwreck, so nervous. It was on SB 2.1.7. It talked about how the transcendentalists are above rules and regulations and how they are in bliss conversing on the topics about Krsna.
It's so funny that I've probably attended a million SB classes in my time, but i forgot the order of the prayers you say before you begin to speak, "om agyana timran dasya...". It made me feel more humble than ever
If you think that's scary, get this. HG Yajna Purusa prabhu was sitting right in the front, listening really attentively about what i was about to say. I had butterflies like ive never had before!
But i was pretty happy how the class went. I used alot of the knowledge i learned in Bhakti sastri. I talked about Vaidhi bhakti and Raganuga Bhakti. How the neophytes need rules and regulations and need the guru to show them. I also added some examples from my Vrindavan trip.
I always remember devotees saying that you just need to express what you know. If you try to sound too learned, you can make a mistake and people could call you out on it.
It was a great experience though, the bramhacharis were really supportive and liked the class, even though it had so many shortcomings Utlimately, it was for my own purification and so i could use the knowledge i got from VIHE. Govinda prabhu from Towaco told me, "Because if you dont use it, you'll lose it."
Jay Sri Radhe,
a.s.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats what i get for staying out of the loop. if i had any clue of your turn to give class, i would have tried to stay over that night.

alas. such is my misfortune. anyways, you might be givin class @ 2nd ave one of these days. watch out.
:)

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

In your Bhagavatam classes, do you ever mention about human sacrifices or horse sacrifices in Bhagavatam performed by Ambarisha and Harischandra www.mahabhagavatayb.blogspot.com

Vineet said...

Congrats Amul. You are officially big time... no, I don't mean because you gave a Bhagavatam class (congrats on that too, by the way). No, I mean because your blog has officially attracted the attention of multisubj_yb, whose paranoid rants and raves about the Bhagavatam and Gita are right out of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Anyway, keep giving those classes. I remember the first time I gave class at 2nd Ave., I forgot all the words to "Jaya Radha Madhava." But the devotees were kind and tolerated me; and the next time I was scheduled to speak there, they placed a song book -- open to Jaya Radha Madhava -- on the vyasasana for me. :-)

Missing your association,
VBD

PS: I'll see you at the Towaco horse sacrifice and community picnic on Saturday. ;-)

Namarasa das said...

LOL, miss you too man!

vin said...

will this lecture be available on Amul Tape Ministry? I wanna listen to it.