Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Amul: "Uncle Frank"

    Monday, August 14, 2006 12:27 pm
   
    I got a call yesterday from my parents that our dear next door neighbor in NJ, Frank Sapienza, had past away.  I was pretty distraught and then I remembered what I had learned from the second chapter of the Bhagavad Gita.  About the soul, and how it could not be killed.  Anyways, let me just give you alittle history about "Uncle Frank".
 
    "Uncle Frank", as he was affectionately known by my family, was an old Italian man who had lived in Paramus even before we had come there, around 18 years ago.  He was married to Adaleena (it was really Adeline, but my father pronounced it differently), his loving wife, who would always be seen with him. 
   
    Uncle Frank had a love for gardening and landscaping.  His lawn was by far, the best lawn in our neighborhood.  Whenever guests would come over, they would always remark how green his lawn was!  Also, every year his garden would yield bags and bags of tomatoes, green peppers, eggplants, etc.  He was truly a person in the mode of goodness.  You could always see him outside, sometimes with his cowboy hat, working away in his garden or on his lawn.  I used to watch him out of our kitchen window, admiring his hard working spirit.  And whenever my father had a question about something to do with landscaping or home improvement, the first person he would go to was Uncle Frank.  He would never hesitate to help.
 
    Uncle Frank was a very pious person as well.  During the summer, almost every evening, you could find him reading the bible on his front porch with his wife.  You could tell he had a taste for reading about Jesus Christ, whom he probably had a deep relationship with.  Every Sunday, without fail, he and his wife would go to church too. I remember them being dressed up and leaving around 10 am for their Sunday services. 
 
    Uncle Frank also got some chance to do service for Krishna as well.  During Bhakti Charu Swami's taping of Abhay Charan in New Jersey, some shots were taken on Uncle Frank's amazing front yard.  Bhakti Charu Swami was so impressed by the lawn and neat landscaping, he decided it was a great place to shoot.  We were allowed to tape right on Uncle Frank's front lawn! 
    Another service He rendered was to our deities at home.  Uncle Frank would grow tomatoes but he wouldn't like the greenish un-ripe ones.  So he offered that we could take them if we wanted.  I have fond memories of my childhood going to Uncle Frank's garden with my father, and picking all the green tomatoes.  Then my mother would cook subji with them when they ripened, and offer it to the deities.  Indirectly, Uncle Frank was performing the service to Krishna!  Devotional service, nonetheless.
       
    Uncle Frank was a dear Grandfather figure to me.  He was pious, hardworking, and always willing to help.  I remember his sweet Italian accent and how neat his garage was.  When I was younger, he would even put air in my bike tires when I needed it.  I will miss him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hari bol Amul,

I enjoyed reading about Uncle Frank. It was well written and I could feel the thought and feeling put in it. Thanks for sharing your realizations. And btw, his lawn is not so green anymore.