Sunday, July 16, 2006

Akhanda Harinam Sankirtan....(I couldn't think of a title...Amul's Idea)

7/12/06
I know this may be a shock to many people (Yes….I know this is a weird way to begin a blog…..), well, I am a big fan of Aindra Prabhu’s kirtans. Well I have been trying to avoid writing a blog purely about Aindra Prabhu’s kirtans for that one reason alone, none of you would take me seriously, but after several events (believe me, they’re worth reading about)…I just could not resist. The first few days we were here Aindra Prabhu’s kirtans were just as I expected, awesome. But for the past week, due to the advent of Guru-Purnima, Krishna Balaram Mandir has very busy for the last week. For those of you who do not know this, Aindra Prabhu starts singing between 6:30 and 6:40, and he goes until two or three minutes after the curtains have opened for Sandhya Aroti (7:05 on the temple room clock here). He usually cranks the kirtan up several times, and as I walked in at 6:43 today (I rush from class, I literally run), what I witnessed was an all out bhangra (I've never seen one before, but from what I've heard...) scene (Yes…you read that correctly B–H–A–N–G–R–A....it really is pretty crazy...). To top this off, the catalyst for this phenomena was what seemed like a 90 year old dude who was dancing like, well raving like…Nimai Patel (sorry Nimai….I don’t know any other dancers). Dancing has been slowly building up over the past few days, but it definitely reached another level today. Even the 24 hour kirtan devotees were laughing, I’m definitely gonna try and videotape it tomorrow. On a side note, the weather here is actually quite pleasant now, it rains for a short period of time, but the temperature stays much…much cooler. Alright…I’m out for now…..

The picture is from the Hathras program (see blog entry: Hathras)

Chaitanya

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chaitanya... Just wanted to drop you a line to let you know how much I appreciate your blogging in about everything. I really dig your writing. Whether you are writing about life-threatening car rides or Aindra Prabhu kirtans, you have this way of making us feel as if we are there with you guys. Its funny, clear, and personal. Keep it up!

Radhe Radhe,
VBD

Anonymous said...

hahaha thats awsomeee
i should battle him ;-)
hahaha

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»